A traditional fish recipe served on Christmas Eve as part of the Feast of the Seven Fishes.
5 pounds small squid
1/2 cup olive oil
3 large cloves garlic
1 large can plum tomatoes
1/4 tsp. salt
Pinch crushed red pepper
1/2 teaspoon sweet basil
1/2 teaspoon oregano
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
PREPARATION OF THE SQUID
1. Peel skin or dark membrane, remove insides and wash thoroughly. Tentacles of squid may be used but they also must be peeled and eye muscle removed.
2. Cut squid into 1” strips.
3. Simmer squid in enough water to cover bottom of saucepan for 5 minutes. Remove squid and discard water. Set aside.
SAUCE FOR SQUID
1. Brown minced garlic cloves in olive oil.
2. Add chopped tomatoes, salt, red pepper and cook over hot flame stirring constantly until tomatoes separate from oil, approximately 30 minutes.
3. Add squid and simmer until squid if fork tender, approximately 25-30 minutes.
4. Add oregano, sweet basil and parsley. Cook 1 minute longer.
5. Garnish with additional fresh parsley.